So I had a birthday! Last month, on March 19th to be exact I turned 28. Or as some people like to say…30 minus 2. Lets count it down!!! But I’ll just say 28 for now.
It took me a while to really start to feel my brand spanking new age, and say out loud that I am being pushed into becoming a year older, which is why it took me a month to post this blog. Yes people I am 28! No longer can I claim ignorance as an excuse when I really just want to get wasted and pass out in some strange place. Nope I know better now, and I am not allowed to engage in my old college girl acts of random, crazy, fun!
Since turning 28 I don’t feel any different from when I was 27. But I feel a huge difference from age 18! I now sit and watch CNN…OH NO!!! And I actually turn on Fox news, (as I wait for the day that that network will suddenly disappear), just to see what nonsense, or new socialist theory Glenn Beck would like to rant on today. I am starting to think the Real World on MTV is not good television anymore, maybe because I am now too old to ever be a cast member. Actually, the only good show on MTV is 16 and pregnant. That is because I like to watch the unrealistic ways these girls think they can manage their lives and a newborn at the same time. Now that is good television! Oh and the cast of the Jersey Shore will always be a bunch of idiots in my head. But I do wonder where they will be in 5 years…hmmm.
I understand that life means real responsibility, and every choice I make falls on me. No bail out for me! At 28 I have felt the joys and disappointment of love, and I still continue to move forward on the journey of learning more about love, life, career, and everything else that comes along with being 28 (Or the prepping phase for 30).
28, in my late twenties, officially. The point where women start to get really anxious about being 30 and alone. No kids, No husband, Oh no, will I be myself forever!! No I don’t have those feelings just yet, I still feel great being just me, but I am clearly making a mental note to myself not to settle for a fool! I remember I am better than that, and settling will lead to eventual unhappiness.
So here is a brief list of things that I now know at 28, that maybe I didn’t want to accept at 27, but life is about reality right?
- I will probably never hit the lotto to become rich quick
- I will probably never marry a rich millionaire athlete or movie star (I think I am too old now, LOL)
- A retirement account is a good thing to have
- Being on reality TV is not exactly the best way to become famous
- Bad days do not last forever, and a even greater day will be coming soon!
- Love does not happen in a day
- I will have to compromise in any relationship I am in
- Men do like women who cook
- Men like to be pampered as much as women do
- Dating younger guys isn’t necessarily a bad thing
- It is ok to date guys who have reached the age of 40 without thinking he is an old ass man, and the fact that he likes me is repulsive
- It is perfectly fine to date outside of my race ( sorry black men, but can some of you please step your game up!)
- If I want something in life, then I will have to work to get it (damn it!)
- It is a great thing to budget your money
- I can survive on my own
- I will get married to an awesome guy, who will also be my best friend
- I will never ever get back together with my ex because he is worse than a total jerk! (hey that is really good to know!)
I am excited to see what life has in store for me at 28, the first month hasn’t been so bad, so in the next 11 months I will continue to move with the changes of life, and embrace the good, grow from the bad, and continue to learn how I can improve on just being a better me!